Afghanistan, Iran, NW India, Pakistan
Scorpions, centipedes, spiders, beetles.
Habitat: Deserts, arid grasslands.
Incubation: 2 eggs, 45-53 days
Social structure: Solitary
Lifespan: 5 under human care
IUCN Status: Not Evaluated
Estimated population in the wild: Unknown
Threats: No information available
Did you know that:
- Eublepharis, in Greek and means good eyelid. While macularius refers to spots in Latin.
- Unlike many gecko species they have movable eyelids with a vertical slit pupil.
- Their wide tail acts as a fat reserve and can be utilized as an energy source. When threatened they may lose their tail, distracting this way the predator. The tail grows back again.
- Their ear holes (drums) are situated on the head so that if you shine a light through one ear you will see it through the other.
- Females are able to store sperm for up to 15 months after mating.